9.29.2009

Lord Snickerbottom Quits His Punk Rock Band Forever

I lack the aggressive tendencies,
the rebel's sneer, the style, the
strength and fortitude
to go on playing
with this show.

It's not as though I thought it over,
minced about, decided that your
means of making music
aren't worth
another go,

but while you were singing loudly,
acting brash and rather rowdy,
I was in my study
with the finest
escargot

and I had the realization
that my current occupation
is of poor configuration
for my talent
to grow.

So without intended rudeness
you must find another lutist.
I wish you all the best
and hope to see you,
cheerio.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Why does this remind me of "The Raven"?
Furthermore, the title alone is hilarious and the rest of the poem doesn't disappoint. While I have been at times compared to a "Scary Dr. Seuss", this is making me think of a "Sarcastic Dr. Seuss", which is really much closer to the mark, don't you think?

J. Byrd said...

My girlfriend said the same thing about about "the raven". I think it's because of the rhythm: how it slows toward the end of each stanza, and an "o" sound that is similar to the "or".

I do agree. This is a sarcastic Dr. Seuss. We should write some children's books.